Privacy Notice SummaryOur Notice outlines:
- How and why we collect your personal information;
- How your personal information is used and protected;
- When and with whom we share your personal information; and
- What choices you can make about how we collect, use, and share your personal information.
What Does This Privacy Notice Include?
This Privacy Notice (“Notice”) describes how we handle your personal information, the reasons we do so, the choices you may have regarding our use of the information, and the measures we take to protect the security of the information. This Notice covers the Ask the Rabbi website hosted by Oorah.org where this Privacy Notice is posted.
What is Our Pledge of Accountability?
We require our customer service managers, operations team members, and business partners to manage your personal information properly.
We have designated a team that are responsible for helping to ensure compliance with this Notice. We require all those who manage personal information to do so properly and in accordance with our policies.
What Type of Information Do We Collect and How Do We Collect It?
We collect information to help improve your experience and to support our business functions. We collect information from you in a variety of ways when you interact with our representatives, and websites.
What Information Do We Collect?
We may collect or receive the following categories of personal information. Not all categories may be collected or received for every individual:
- Identifiers: Personal identifiers, such as name, telephone number, physical address, email address, and signatures.
- Device Information and Online Activity: Device and online identifiers, account login information, keystroke patterns indicative of human or bot website/app usage, web network activity and related information (such as Mac address, IP address, cookie IDs, browser activity, and other information associated with your browsing history), and social media information.
- Communications: Communication details (such as the content of emails, text messages, or other communications), call logs, and calendar information where Ask the Rabbi is a party to the exchange.
- Geolocation: Location information, such as geolocation information
- Sensory Information: Audio, visual information, and other sensory information such as photographs and audio and video recordings
How Do We Collect Information?We collect information from you in a variety of ways. It may be:
- Provided directly by you or a member of your household
- Collected from a device associated with you or your household/li>
Information Provided Directly by You or a Member of Your Household.You actively share information with us in various ways. For example, you share information when you:
- Conduct a transaction or request a service where we collect information (including when required by law);
- Request customer service or contact us;
- Use features of our websites that may ask you to grant us access to the camera, microphone, or contacts on your computer or mobile device. We only collect this information when you grant us access on your device.
When you engage in these activities, you may share different types of personal information with us, such as your name, email address, physical or postal address, phone number, and date of birth.
Information Collected from a Device Associated with You or Your Household.
You also passively provide us information in other ways through technology. This information helps our website work correctly and supports customer marketing and analytics efforts – our work to understand our customers’ needs and provide information about our products and services that may be of interest to you. Here are some examples:
- Device Information: We collect technical information when you visit our website. This may include information such as Internet Protocol (IP) address, the type of mobile device you use, your device operating system and browser type, a unique device identifier, the address of referring websites, the path you take through our websites, and other information about your session on our website.
- Browsing Information: We use our own and third-party technologies such as cookies, and web beacons to collect information about the use of our website. We use these tools to provide an integrated and more personalized experience for you. For example: cookies allow us to provide you relevant information as you use or return to our site; web beacons allow us to know if a certain page was visited, an email was opened, or if ad banners on our website and other sites were effective. Under certain circumstances, we permit third parties to collect information on our website for their own business purposes using cookies, web beacons, iframes and similar technologies.
How Do We Use Your Personal Information?
We use your personal information to provide you services to help us personalize our services and marketing to you. We also use your personal information to support our business functions, such as fraud prevention, marketing, and legal functions. Some examples include:
- Performing services, including maintaining or servicing accounts, providing customer service, processing transactions, verifying customer information, providing analytics services, or providing similar services
- Providing advertising and marketing services, including targeted advertising
- To conduct auditing and monitoring of transactions and engagement, including auditing related to counting ad impressions to unique visitors, verifying positioning and quality of ad impressions, and auditing compliance
- Helping to ensure security and integrity and prevent fraud
- Undertaking activities to verify or maintain the quality or safety of our services or devices and to improve, upgrade, or enhance them
- Debugging to identify and repair errors
- To conduct business analysis, such as analytics, projections, identifying areas for operational improvement
- To conduct research and development, including undertaking internal research for technological development and demonstration
- To fulfill our legal functions or obligations
To do the above, we combine information, collected online and offline, including information from third party sources.
How Do We Share Your Personal Information Outside of Ask the Rabbi?
We are careful to share your personal information in ways that respect your privacy and only as described in this Notice. We do not sell or rent your personal information to others for money. All of the categories of personal information that we collect have been shared with other companies for a business purpose. We may share your personal information in the following circumstances:
We share personal information about you with service providers that help with our business activities, marketing and advertising vendors, and companies that help us improve our services. We require our service providers to keep your personal information secure. We do not allow our service providers to use or share your personal information for any purpose other than providing services on our behalf. Your personal information may be stored and processed by our service providers in the United States or other locations where the service providers maintain facilities. For more information review http://www.google.com/policies/privacy.
The Ask The Rabbi API Client uses YouTube API Services
By using this API client, users are agreeing to be bound by the YouTube Terms of Service that be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/t/terms
Legal Requirements and Protection of Our Company and Others
We may share your personal information in other special circumstances, which include situations when sharing is required by law, or we believe sharing will help to protect the safety, property, or rights of Ask the Rabbi, our partners, our employees, or other persons. Examples include:
- Protecting the health or safety of customers;
- Addressing crimes committed on Ask the Rabbi;
- Identifying and addressing fraud or financial risk;
- Providing personal information from cameras to law enforcement at their written request;
- Responding to a search warrant or other valid legal inquiry; and
- Responding to an investigative body in the case of a breach of an agreement or violation of law.
In the event that all or a part of our business is merged, sold or reorganized (including transfers made as a part of insolvency or bankruptcy proceedings), personal information about you could be shared with the successor business. We will use reasonable measures to help ensure that any successor treats your information in accordance with this Notice.
What are Your Choices?
You have choices about the various ways we collect, use, and share your personal information.
- We may send you marketing communications. You can tell us your marketing preferences by contacting us as described in the “Who Can I Contact at Ask the Rabbi about the Privacy Notice” section below.
- We also personalize your experience on our sites by showing you advertisements from our business partners Kars 4 Kids and Oorah. We want to offer you choices about the different ways we collect, use, or share your personal information. These choices are described below. <
When we are sending marketing communications to you, we use the following standards:
- We use an opt-in standard for automated phone and text messages, and for sharing personal information with outside companies. Opt-in means we will only conduct the activity with your affirmative consent.
- We use an opt-out standard for email, app notifications, and postal mail. Opt-out means we may contact you, but will stop upon your request (as described below).
If you contact us by email or mail, please be sure to include your full name, the types of communications you would like to receive or not receive, and your related contact information. For instance, if you would like to opt-out of mail, include your mailing address. Please allow sufficient time for your marketing preferences to be processed. It may take up to ten days to process your requests related to email and up to thirty days to process your requests related to telephone calls, text messages, app notification and sharing information with your consent. Please note that postal mailings are often prepared many weeks in advance, and you may continue to receive mail for six to ten weeks.
Since we do not accept opt-out requests from third, such as catalog opt-out services, please communicate your request directly to us through one of the mechanisms mentioned above.
Please know that, even if you opted out of receiving marketing communications from us, we may still contact you for transactional or informational purposes. Some examples are contacts for customer service, product information, or reminder notices. We may also need to contact you with questions or information regarding your transaction.
Device Camera and Microphone
Some of the features on our website may require access to the camera or microphone of your computer or mobile device. You must give your permission before we access your device’s camera or microphone, and you can adjust the settings of your device at any time to control access to your camera or microphone. See “What Types of Information Do We Collect?” above for more information.
How Do You Access and Update Your Personal Information?
We provide you with various ways to access or update your personal information, including contact and account information. We also take reasonable steps to keep your personal information accurate and complete.
You can access or update your personal information, including contact or account information, in the following ways:
- If you have created an account on our websites, log into your account. Once you do, you will be able to enter and update your own contact information and payment information, as well as contact information for recipients you have designated.
- Contact us through one of the ways listed in the “Who Can I Contact at Ask the Rabbi about the Privacy Notice” section at the bottom of this Notice. Please include your current contact information, the information you are interested in accessing, and your requested changes. We will provide you the personal information requested if it is reasonably available, unless it infringes on the privacy of other individuals, and subject to reasonable limitations provided by law and internal procedures. Otherwise we will describe the types of information we typically collect. We will provide access and make the changes you request, or will provide an explanation of what actions we will be able to take with regard to the request.
How Do We Secure Your Personal Information?
Whether you are using our website or mobile services, we use reasonable information security measures, including physical, administrative, and technical safeguards. Learn more about measures you can take to help to protect the security of your personal information.
How Long Do We Retain Your Personal Information?
We will keep the personal information we collect about you for as long as necessary to carry out the purposes set forth in this Privacy Notice or any other notice provided at the time of data collection, but no longer than as required or permitted under applicable law or internal policy. We dispose of the information we collect in accordance with our retention policies and procedures.
How Does Ask the Rabbi Protect the Privacy of Children Online?
As a general rule, our website are not directed to children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. Any website directed to children under the age of 13 will explicitly state that it collects information from children. In those instances, a separate privacy notice will be posted detailing the practices specific to that website.
Who Can I Contact at Ask the Rabbi About the Privacy Notice?
To contact the Customer Service Team about this Privacy Notice or about how we handle your personal information, email email@example.com or write
Ask the Rabbi Privacy
1805 Swarthmore Ave.
Lakewood, NJ 08904
How can I Exercise my Rights?
You can exercise the following rights by emailing us at Ask the Rabbi@Ask the Rabbi.org with the subject line: Request My Personal Information.
1. Request for a copy of retained Personal Information
2. Deletion of Personal Information
3. Correction of Personal Information
If we decline to take action on one of your rights you can submit an appeal.
How Will I Know if This Notice Changes?
Please check our Privacy Notice periodically for changes. We will provide additional notice of significant updates. We will post the date our Notice was last updated at the top of the Privacy Notice.